Sunday, October 28, 2007

one step up, two steps back

I had progressed so much on the Marilyn's cardigan, was doing the side decreases, liking it, and was down close to the part where you start the hem, and then, tried it on for the umpteenth time, and decided I'd made a size too big. Grrrr...it gets button bands, it gets ruffles, and with those added inches, I'd swim in it. So...ripripriprip, down to the nice little balls of yarn again. Re-cast on in a smaller size, and am cranking merrily along.

Am I destined to knit every damn thing I make twice?

Never mind, the beautiful Silkroad DK is so pleasing to knit, I love the fabric, the squooshiness of it all, and want the cardigan badly, so I had to rip and re-knit.

I'm becoming better about these setbacks. Must be the St. John's Wort, finally kicking in, after 2 weeks of religious application of my favorite mood-altering seasonal drug. It IS fall, here, with lots of clouds, rain and wind, and cooler nights. I put Aunt Cora's afghan on my bed, and snuggle down in it. P thinks I'm crazy, as he is unphased by Hawaii's "winter".

A long walk with BadBoy Cricket tonight. We walked through some cemetaries, stopped for some off-leash fun in a park down in Nuuanu's urban gritty area, admired some botanical gardens and practiced behaving around other dogs; ie, watching them without the usual firestorm of barking and jumping around. He is really very good, these days, with only the reactivity around other dogs, to worry about. Most of the leash pulling has worked itself out, and I'm trying to phase out the Gentle Leader, and work more on the flat collar again, on the waist leash. He is really very strong, weighing in at about 75 lbs, now, at his full growth. I am enjoying him, at the moment.

Joy abounds, as I own a plane ticket to Portland, Oregon, for a getaway with P! I am looking forward to being off the rock, eating local salmon, drinking microbrews, and wandering new neighborhoods. Portland has always been my hypothetical "someday I'll live there" city, so it will be fun to visit it, finally. Any readers with ideas about where to go, what to do, please weigh in here.

Due to my ripety-rip escapade the other night, Marilyn's, once the sweater I was going to WEAR to Portland, will be the knitting project for the journey. Ahhh, well, I can do this.

6 comments:

Lucy Barber said...

Kim, you are so good to rip -- I rarely do that, thus the pile of unfinished products.

When is the Portland trip? Do you wish to meet the prodigal brother and Lotus Muffin? My friend Erin lives there as well but her life is drama, drama. If the stars are aligned though, she might be having an art opening at the right time.

So behind at work that I am reading the entire web while supposedly working on a sunday!

Lucy - the DisKnit

Opal said...

Oh I'm so sorry you had to rip the cardi! It's better to have found out now rather then after you've bound off. And this way you know you'll be happy with the finished product.

Have a good time in Portland!

Reya Mellicker said...

I can definitely imagine you in Portland. I lived there long ago (1977-79) and have visited many times since. It's such a cool city in so many ways. The rain really made me nuts, but otherwise it's superfine.

Hope you'll be visiting Powell Books, and will you get out to Hawthorne Ave. SE? Such a great little strip of stores and places to have tea.

Gosh ... wish I could be there with you! Have a blast!

Anonymous said...

aah! i can't believe your marilyn is back to ball form! i was hoping to compare sizes when next i saw you and your projects. mine grew most of the second arm on our flight back to the rock, but i haven't tried it on for many, many rows so who knows if mine will fit me either. anyway, see you at mj?

Chelsea said...

Ugh, that sucks. I'm glad you're liking it well enough that it's not killing you to start over, though.

I think after my last debacle I might have learned my "stop when you know it's wrong" lesson. A whole pair of socks too late, of course, but maybe that's the price. ;)

Anonymous said...

I don't know anything about Portland, but Bandon by the Sea and Port Orford are among the loveliest places I've ever visited. I'd love to retire there...