Friday, September 11, 2009

muscadines and scuppernongs


These showed up in our CSA box the other day. A few days before that, driving around up in the mountains, we stopped by a little roadside market, and I saw a basket of the green ones. Had no idea what they were, and gave them a sniff. Once I smelled them, I was able to identify them, because a friend in Hawaii, Mel, had given me some muscat-scented tea.

They are a native American grape, with an intense fruity smell. The skins are thick and a little bit sour, and they have seeds, 2-4 in each fruit. Supposedly they have crazy amounts of antioxidants and super phyto properties that immediately turn your life around and make you a better person. I am eating them, and actually loving them. I think part of what I love is their appearance, they're so pretty, with that bronzy yellow-green nestled up against the reddish black. Purple n' green, my favorite colors, but with an earthy twist.

In the wake of the destroyed smaller digital camera, I'm back to using ol' clunky again. I should dig out the manual and try and figure out how to actually maximize its capabilities. I'm trying to take more pictures, and am wondering if something like Project 365 would inspire me, or just feel like a horrible burden? Has anyone done this? Were you able to keep up with it?

My main project for today is just to keep working on the house, cleaning and organizing. I can't believe what a beast moving is. I should know from experience...

4 comments:

gay said...

hmm muscat as in muscatel i wonder??? i was totally blown out of the game when i tried to do a 365 on my own. after one week i lost the rhythm. i am unable to concentrate on the selfportrait challenge anymore weekly either but it is a place for you to maybe start with smaller ambitions???weekly as oppsed to daily who has the time?

kbrow said...

Gay, your self portraits are great! Your blog has so many good pics of you!

Unknown said...

Native grapes...I haven't seen them here, yet. What are you doing with them? Just eat them raw?

chris said...

I'm envious that you get amazing grapes like that in your CSA box. I like choi sum well enough, but could do with some cool variety like that every now and then. I'm so in the habit of not blog reading anymore that it's like a little surprise everytime I remember to check out my bookmarks. Your caprese salad looks amazing.