Saturday, January 24, 2009

k-brow: bad traffic, slow progress

After a frantic morning of trying to get things done, and being thwarted by bad Chinese New Year traffic and my own tendancy to argue with people over silly things, I am home again. Intending to clean out my closet, but perhaps more realistically, to take the dogs out, after a short nap and then another shot at stimulating the economy...

I have a pair of Dansko clogs that are about 10 years old. I noticed that the soles were splitting in multiple places the other week, but figured they'd last a few months longer and so didn't pay much attention. Well, yesterday, at work, as I was teaching math, one of my students pointed out that there was "dirt all over the floor" and when I looked down to check it out, discovered that the sole of the left clog was disintegrating as I walked around. Damn...I'm trying to replace them, and have one store left to try, according to all reports, otherwise, it's off to Zappo's. I wore those clogs every day to teach in.

Also, on the shopping agenda, and in the more frivolous category, a foot spa bath. I got a Macy's gift certificate from a student, and am ready to treat my feet to a bit of lovin'. You know, after having a shoe disintegrate...

Nuuanu remains cloudy, in spite of gorgeous clear sunlight elsewhere on the island. I have been indulging in carbofeeding today, with pancakes for breakfast, and part of a gyro sandwich for lunch. What can I say? The attempts to run errands and un-success at finding shoes triggered a need for Brent's coconut-macadamia pancakes. Tomorrow will be better.

Our funny little orange tree is having a good fruiting year, this year. Last year, it gave one orange, this year, about a dozen. I gave this orange another few days to ripen, and when i went out to pick it, I found that one of our ring-neck doves had beaten me to it, and had pecked into the fruit and removed much of it. Those doves are big and fat, and I like to convince myself that it's they, and not the rats, who like to eat our citrus.

Cricket, the dove hunter, is not doing his job.

I am a mere 7 rows from finishing Icarus! My hands and wrists are so sore that I can only knit a row or two a day, now, but I'm not feeling too bad about the progress, anymore. I'm going over to Joy's to work on it tomorrow, and hopefully will get some done. I tried to knit at Aloha Knitters on Thursday, but it was too loud and I kept making the same mistakes over and over again. After this? Maybe a few smaller, more easily completed projects on bigger needles, with fatter yarn, before I face lace again. Though I do have a fascination with lace, I tell you.

5 comments:

Opal said...

oh no! i'm so sorry about your danskos! should we hold services for such dedicated servants?

see you tomorrow!

Anonymous said...

I hope you are feeling better. I can't wait to see your Icarus.

Acornbud said...

Yeah, can't be a rat eating your oranges. I will ask my mom if they have some jabong to spare. They have the little yellow ones, not pink.
Go Icarus Go!

Lucy Barber said...

Foot spas bring hope and change! (See my post)

Chelsea said...

Oh, Icarus, he is breaking my heart! I had to knit the third repeat of chart one four times, then spent seven hours straight trying to untangle the yarn cake...I am SO far behind you, but rest assured, it's not from lack of trying! I admire your persistence.