Tuesday, December 19, 2006

just a soldier

Ugh. The holiday season has just grabbed me by the scruff of the neck and given me a good shake, and I am laying limp and useless here under the covers, wishing for a fast forward of just a few days. I know we shouldn't wish our lives away in such a manner, but this season always finds me not in the mood for it.

Am I a soldier in the war on Christmas?

More likely, the war on consumerism, trumped-up expectations and short, short time, combined with my own seasonal affective disorder, which seems to be a factor, even here in sunny Hawaii, or maybe it's just the lack of quality beach time in my life. Relief is coming, but not nearly soon enough.

I heard one of the most hostile conversations today, between a teacher and a custodian, that I've ever heard. Our principal was sitting in the room when it took place, and I'm not sure what surprised me more; that the teacher was talking to the custodian this way, or that the administrator didn't intervene. Maybe, and I hope this is the case, she had a private word with the two concerned, at a later time.

Meanwhile, I am plagued by little knitting, vivid dreams at night, and the sense that I can only be cured by hot baths, long drives and longer naps in the sun.

I go sleep now.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

In our school, it's the other way around. The head custodian is notorious for being extraordinarily rude and nasty, and, although administration is well aware of it, they do nothing.

Opal said...

I pretty much feel the same way about this holiday season. I've just never been a fan of it. It'll be over soon, thank goodness.

I do look forward to seeing you on Thursday!

Reya Mellicker said...

The holidaze suck. They are always so hard for me. But in a couple of days the moon will turn, then the sun will turn at solstice. A week later, January will be here and we can all sigh with relief.

Stay under the covers because: It'll all be over soon! (That last line is my favorite from the film Titanic.

Acornbud said...

Dream of cookies and Rosedale complete:)