Wednesday, February 28, 2007

still life with breakfast


morningtea.JPG, originally uploaded by ellapoodle.

I usually drink coffee in the mornings, but the past couple of days, I've switched over to tea. This happens every 6 months or so, lasts for a few weeks, and then devolves to coffee again. The teapot is a gift from my old neighbor, Tina, in Arlington. It began its life in the toney Washington DC restaurant, Obelisk, but when they switched to white teapots, she passed it on to me. I have a fair number of teapots; one from my grandmother's house, a cheery orange Fiestaware one, and a beautifully hand-painted one from Delft - an expensive gift to myself when P and I went to Holland a few Christmases ago. But the yellow teapot warms my heart. I don't use it without remembering sitting in Tina's kitchen, with her cat, dog and baby daughter all milling around the floor together.

The tea itself is Lob Nor, a combination of black and green teas, scented with bergamot, like an Earl Grey. It is the perfect morning cuppa, and compliments my current craze of wheat toast with raspberry jam. I bought the tea sheerly because of its name, which was subtitled "The Phantom Lake". How can you resist that name?

4 comments:

Acornbud said...

Lob Nor...what a cool name. Like something out of Lord of the Rings. I myself can't survive the coffee addiction and I have tried.

Pam! said...

I do the same coffee/tea switcheroo about once a month. I'm not sure what does it, but I get into a "tea" frame of mind for 3-4 days. mood? moon phase? maybe I should track it. heh heh
I'm going to find some of that Lob Nor. It sounds like a combo of flavors I would LOVE!

Reya Mellicker said...

The Phantom Lake? Wow, I wouldn 't be able to resist it either.

How cool that someone else has the bi-annual tea habit. About every six months I get a jones for tea in the a.m. Right now I'm in the midst of my tea phase - how cool to share this little quirk with you? Sooner or later I'll go back to my Peets Guatamalan, but right now, I'm loving my morning cup of tea. I love this coincidence!

Opal said...

I'm not sure I'd be able to resist that name and I'm a true blue coffee drinker! I love that tea pot too.